Mar 17, 2010

flutters...

It's late. Maybe too late. I will probably wake up, read this and wonder why I wrote it.
I just finished watching North & South.
Loved it.

But I have a hard time watching stories so... I hate to use the word, but, romantic. What is romantic anyway?

I guess it's different for everyone.

I have a friend who stated her dislike for the idea of romance, or at least I think that's what she was doing. Maybe she just dislikes the word. But probably not. It's probably my first idea.

I think the world has made romance to be something that has to be elaborate and show boatish (i made that word up...ish). It has to be something like screaming "I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!" in a crowded room. Or an expensive hot air balloon ride at sunrise. Or hundreds or candle and roses to surprise you.

While watching this movie tonight I remembered how she face booked her thought. And it made me think. What is romantic?

I remember watching my mom as my dad would get home from being out on the road for days on end and seeing the excitement in my her eyes.
It's still there. And she still misses him just as bad when he is gone.

Or how they cook together. I loved seeing my parents cook together.

The way my grandpa spoke in such reverence about my grandma.

How my grandma gets a smile on her face when she remembers him. She misses him so badly. They are a match made in heaven.

I've seen brother in laws tease and lovingly torture my sisters. And my sisters secretly love it.

And then there is the thing I think is the most romantic act of all. When two people who have lived together, fought together, laughed together, cried together, and got annoyed of the other together, but still they choose to be by each others side. No matter what.

I guess we all view the idea of romance differently.

I personally think romance is simple, humble and selfless.

It's love.

It gives me the heart flutters thinking about having that one day...

If you have it... Don't let it slip away.
(THIS JUST IN: Friend dislikes word not act. It still made me think though. Thinking is good. Thanks friend.)

2 comments:

Toni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Dotson said...

;-) Good to know. It still made me think. Thanks friend.